The post of Wellington Town Crier is initially for the period of 1 year, after which there will be the option for renewal on an annual basis subject to the Town Council being satisfied with the performance of the person in question.
The appointee represents Wellington and its residents so you are expected to maintain a high standard of appropriate behaviour and courtesy at all times during your duties and at competitions. You are required to be clean, smart, sober, polite and jovial.
The appointee will receive items of clothing in order to perform their duties. These will remain the property of Wellington Town Council and must be returned at the end of the appointment. Wellington Town Council will reimburse dry cleaning costs for the uniform for up to but not exceeding three times per financial year.
Wellington Town Crier is required to write a relevant cry for each event they are engaged. Approval will be required by the Town Clerk, or her assistant, prior to performance. Word limit for cries is 100-200 words. All cries must commence with ‘Oyez, Oyez, Oyez’ and must conclude with ‘God save the Queen’. All cries must be non-political and non-religious and must be in good taste and in the spirit of the role. You will be expected to have and develop a good local knowledge, with an understanding of the Town and its history.
It is anticipated you will attend all Wellington civic events. You will liaise with the Town Clerk, who will be your Line Manager, regarding all matters concerning your role.
It is anticipated you will attend all major events in the Town i.e. Wellington Festival in June-July and Christmas in Wellington at the end of November. There may be other important events to announce, all in consultation with the Town Clerk. It is anticipated you will be invited to perform cries throughout the year promoting various charitable events (coffee mornings, fetes etc.) Many of the neighbouring villages may also wish to use your services at their summer fetes, attendance at these will be at your own discretion and subject to authority from the Town Clerk. The Town Council reserves the right to refuse permission for any activity which they may consider inappropriate or contrary to the policies of the Town Council.
The post of Town Crier is voluntary and unpaid however the Town Council agrees to give favourable consideration towards a nominal honorarium to contribute to wear and tear of parts of your attire not provided by the Council and as a token of the Council’s gratitude.
The Council agrees to include your position within its Public Liability Insurance.
Invitations to perform commercial cries for local businesses in the area, e.g. opening of stores, are both encouraged and allowed, subject to approval from the Town Clerk. Fees for such engagements will be negotiated by you and be yours to keep. The council reminds you that such income must be declared to HMRC as appropriate. The Town Council reserves the right to refuse permission for any activity which they may consider inappropriate or contrary to the policies of the Town Council.
You are encouraged to join the nationwide Ancient and Honourable Guild of Town Criers and the annual membership will be reimbursed to you. Attendance at competitions, unless at your own expense, must be agreed in advance by the Town Council.
Any person found by the Town Council to be in serious breach of any of the above conditions, or otherwise be considered as having bought the position into disrepute, will be immediately removed from the role of Wellington Town Crier. Any person who has been dismissed by the Town Council from the post of Wellington Town Crier, for bringing the position into disrepute, will not be eligible to hold the post at any other time in the future.
Terms & Conditions
The position of Town Crier for Wellington is open to male and female applicants who enjoy good health as the role can require extended periods of standing. Is it desirable that applicants possess the following:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An outgoing personality
- Reasonable knowledge of the history of Wellington or be able to acquire same
- Proven reliability
- Access to transport
- Ability to project voice
- Strong ties to Wellington
- All applicants must have a strong desire to be the Town Crier for Wellington.
- Each applicant must complete an application form. The signed Application Form is evidence of the applicant’s consent to these terms & conditions.
- Applications not made in accordance with these terms and conditions will be invalid and not considered.
- The decision of Wellington Town Council to accept or reject an application is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Wellington Town Council will shortlist all qualifying applicants.
- Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend a social gathering with fellow applicants and Councillors at a time and dates to follow.
- Invited applicants will be required to perform their cry to the public in the Town Square at a time and date to follow.
- All decisions made in relation to the successful applicant and appointment of the new Town Crier will be final.